Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Teenage Angst

We were at the park the other day and witnessed typical teenage angst.  There was a young teenage couple arguing, yelling and cursing next to a very busy playground.  I can only assume that part of this was for attention of other people in the park.  Thankfully, there was no physical violence.

There were things that I could have said or possibly should have said,  but I didn't.  I wish that the young couple will realize that more likely than not, in a week this will be one of many arguments and will more than likely be part of their breakup.  In six months to a year, they will start dating new people but they will complain still about each other now and then.  In a couple of years, they will still not like each other.  In five or more years, they will not even remember that argument.  However, they will know how each other is doing because of friends or social media.  They will one day either be genuinely happy for the other person or quite possibly genuinely happy for themselves for moving on and seeing how they avoided that train wreck.

In any case, I decided to remember this moment.  It happens to everyone.  I remember being that drama loving teenager.  I remember arguing for argument sake, even into my first marriage.  I wish people could find out earlier in life that it's so much nicer when you realize that everyone makes mistakes and eventually all that drama was a waste of energy.  I guess you have to go through it to appreciate the lesson in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment