Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gibson's Arrival to the World

Well, after I found out my baby was breech, I had spent countless hours trying to find ways to make him turn so I wouldn't have a C-section.  I had tried the ECV and had started the Webster Technique.  I was also doing moves shown on spinningbabies.com.  But alas, at my last appointment he was still breech.  He did move more sideways, but breech just the same.

We went to what was my last prenatal appointment.  The baby looked good on the NST, there were no contractions and they did a quick ultrasound to check the position of the baby (still breech).  We decided to go ahead and schedule the C-section for January 24th at 8am.  We went to get some food to take home and decided to watch a movie that night.  We ate then started the movie, that's when the fun began.

I felt a contraction, not unlike what I had felt for the past couple of weeks so I didn't give it much thought.  About ten minutes later I felt another one.  This one was a bit stronger so I decided I was going to time them.  The next contraction was six minutes later, I told my husband, "If this keeps up then I think we'll have a show tonight."  The next contraction was about five minutes apart and after that they ran together.  We called the doctor and by the time the doctor called back the contractions were right on top of  each other.  We desperately called my niece to come watch my daughter.  She was still at work so we called my parents to come to the house as we were not going to be able to wait any longer.  We thought my niece showed up but it was our neighbors, I pleaded with him to take her to their house as we had to go right then.

He took our daughter over to their house at 8:20 p.m. and we were on the road.  I begged and pleaded for him to run the red lights but it was icy and my husband wouldn't do it. Here is where it gets blurry to me, I know I was screaming for him to run lights and I know I was screaming for him to call 911.  I know when we got to the hospital, I screamed and cursed more than I ever have in my life.  I know that I while I screamed and begged for relief and for the baby to stay in, I couldn't do anything but push.  As soon as I got into the hospital they checked me and said I was complete.  Basically, I went from 0-10 cm. and ready to deliver in under an hour and my water didn't even break.

They double checked the baby's position then wheeled me into the OR.  They finally gave me a spinal block to which my response was (sorry for the foul language), "That is fucking fantastic."  They then proceeded to the C-section.  I didn't feel anything except some pulling.  I knew my little guy was hung up because two doctors were pulling on him with all they had.  Apparently his hands were behind his head and his cord was wrapped around his neck 2-3 times. At 9:19pm on January 20th, They finally got him out and took him to another room.  My husband assured me that he was okay, but part of me still thinks he was just saying that to keep me calm.  The rest was pretty uneventful.  They tied my tubes (because God knows, I don't want to do that again), and stitched me up.  The spinal made me shake pretty bad so I didn't hold the baby because I was afraid I would drop him.

So all in all, I'm actually thankful that we didn't get him to go head down before labor.  I'm positive, that I would've birthed him on the side of the highway if he would've flipped.  I always thought the scenes in movies were totally bogus with a woman screaming and hollering with a labor moving in a matter of minutes, but I now know it can really happen.  I'm very sore but I'm able to move and do more every day.  I look forward to feeling human again.  I'm so glad the little guy is finally here, everyone just loves him and we love him more and more with each passing minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment